Celebrating Life Since 1883
Mt. Calvary Cemetery was established in 1883 by the very Reverend Dean M. M.A. Hartney, pastor of St. Peter Church, for the sole purpose of providing a fitting final resting place for Catholic dead. The first burial took place on August 12, 1883. Commencing with ten acres, it has grown to over two hundred acres and 24,000 burials. It is looked after by a dedicated staff, some of whom have been part of our cemetery family for more than 20 years.
The cemetery is the final resting place well-known local sports figures, local politicians and famous personalities in our care. Some individuals in our care helped shape our Church while others shaped our town.
Mt. Calvary offers a Priest Section for those who have faithfully served our diocese. In the center of the Priest Section is a large crypt where Cemetery founder Reverend Dean Hartney is buried.
Edward Faieta was born in Steubenville in 1928 and grew up on the streets in the Italian neighborhood of Steubenville. Eddie became a wrestler after being a boxer, where he had been a sparring partner for Bill Conn, the light heavyweight boxing champion, in 1939 and 1940. In the 1950’s and ‘60’s, Eddie was considered
John King Mussio was born in Cincinnati, Ohio June 13, 1902, the son of John E. Mussio and Blanche (King) Mussio. He had one brother, Thomas J. Mussio. He was baptized and received his first communion in Sacred Heart Church in Cincinnati and attended Assumption Elementary School and St. Xavier High School, Cincinnati. After completing